What is Botox?
Botox ® is used to prevent nerves from releasing a chemical messenger called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that attaches to muscle cell receptors and signals them to contract or shorten.
At Glow Aesthetic Center, our certified aestheticians inject Botox ® into wrinkles and facial lines to stop the nerve signals and smooth the muscles. This will give the surrounding muscles of the face a smooth appearance for the next three to six months.
What are the advantages of botox?
In addition to stopping new wrinkles from developing, Botox ® helps improve the appearance of lines and wrinkles, including smokers lines around the mouth area, frown lines, and crows feet.
Within 3-5 days, you can expect to see results. Wrinkles and lines around the treatment area will fade away. Although further treatment is required every few months, the muscles will relax overtime and your lines and wrinkles will be less visible.
Botox ® has been proven to be safe, effective, and reliable. Our Botox ® treatment is minimally invasive and requires no downtime to heal.
Botox ® works best on mild wrinkles by keeping them from settling in. Supplementing your skin care routine with Botox ® in addition to sunblock and skin creams will help keep new lines from developing and prevent mild lines from deepening.
Before Your Next Botox® Treatment:
- The results of your Botox® injection(s) last about three months. If it is your first injection, if a long period of time has passed since your last injection, or if your facial muscles are especially strong, your results may wear off more quickly
- Patients who consistently receive their Botox® injections and/or those with smaller or weaker facial muscles can space their injections by four or five months, sometimes more
- To ensure the best result, schedule your next Botox® appointment in about three months so your results do not wear off
- Botox® is not used in pregnant or breastfeeding patients. It is your responsibility to inform our staff of your health status and to cancel or reschedule your appointment as needed
- If you have a social or work commitment immediately following your scheduled treatment that will interfere with your recovery time, please reschedule your appointment
- A week before your treatment, stop all medications and supplements that can increase bleeding at the injection sites as well as swelling and bruising of the treatment area. These include NSAIDs and fish oil.
- 24 hours before treatment, avoid alcoholic drinks because alcohol can thin the blood, causing complications
- Eat a healthy snack before your treatment to lessen the chance of lightheadedness during the procedure, and avoid caffeine
- Come to your appointment with your face freshly washed and with no makeup
After Your Treatment:
- Right after the injection, you may feel or see small nodules at the injection site. Do not massage the nodules in. They will dissipate in just a few minutes
- Following your injections, your skin may feel dry and itchy. This is a result of the clinician cleaning the injection site with alcohol before treatment. You may use Vaseline® or other moisturizer to ease these symptoms
- For 24 hours, stay away from direct high heat
- You may experience a mild headache. This is normal. The headaches are not due to anything in Botox® itself, but are due to the actual injection of the needle into your skin. They will usually pass within 36 hours. Over-the-counter pain medications can treat them, but do not take aspirin because it thins the blood, which can cause complications
- You may note small bruises. These will disappear in a few days. You may cover them with makeup if you desire